1 Million Dollars

Friday, February 3, 2012

Financial Advice

When I first started figuring out my finances I found the msn money boards which were great for beginners and support. The MSN board is now gone, however there is a private board that many from that group have moved to (http://notmsnmoney.proboards.com/index.cgi).  However, it is hard to find, if you do not already know it is there.  Also, many people really are not as interested as I am in personal finance.  I know my husband prefers me to figure out the financial picture and then give him options.  I looked into financial advisers but they are either fee only and cost about $500 to set up or just salesmen.  Neither really help beginners or young people.  I think it would be great to have someone who helps make you a budget, helps you set up a retirement account (leads people to the right ones, such as Vanguard, Fidelity and T Rowe Price), help people understand credit and basically set young people's financial affairs in order.  This would not be a long process, if there was a list of information for the person to collect before the meeting.  It could be done with a half hour phone call, an hour of prep work by the person and an hour meeting at the end.  Even if you expect the person to get paid $25/hour that would only be $62.50, no where near $500.  I wonder what it would take to set up a program for young people, maybe have it at colleges?  It seems like a program that would be great for college students either freshman year (if they are putting themselves through school on their own) or Senior year before they go off to the "real world".  Does anything else think this is a good idea? Do you think young people would go for it?

No comments:

Post a Comment