1 Million Dollars

Monday, June 6, 2011

Prices are going up

And deals are going down. As I look for deals I my grocery stores I am finding many less stockupables and higher overall prices. I am trying to get my average weekly spending at the grocery store down to $50 yet the last two weeks have both been over $65. I have been finding less coupons for what I need or want and my stockpile is shrinking. There are even fewer extra buck deals at CVS than there used to be. It is frustrating and I almost feel like I have no choice but to just spend more money. But if I did that where would the money come from? I would have to take it from my savings and I do not like that plan.

My car insurance has already been increased and even with cutting some coverage I cannot find insurance for the price I used to pay. I could cut the coverage even lower but I am not comfortable with doing that. And of course, the difference is coming out of my savings. However, the choice to not increase coverage is mine, I could choose differently. Even when we only have two bad choices we still have to make the choice.

I may feel like I have cut all my expenses to the bone but when it gets tough, the tough relook at everything. I may have to make choices I dislike but those choices are still mine. Part of what I am doing is changing my main store from wegmans to price rite. I may prefer wegmans but pricerite on average is cheaper. This should save me some money though not the amount I need it to. What else can I do to get my budget where I need it? I am going to work on increasing my coupon usage and try to check the coupon sites more than I do now. Other than that all I can think of is to cut back some of the treats we get. However those treats make food fun and keep us from eating out more than we should. It is a balancing act and can be hard. I am going to continue looking for another solution for now but may soon have to make the hard choices.

5 comments:

  1. I think the grocery costs are just due to inflation- I too am finding that groceries are so expensive now.

    Gas is so expensive too! everyone's budgets are getting tighter and tighter :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the stupid extreme couponers that are making all the deals scarce! They grocery stores are on to them lol. Hopefully prices will go down soon, but with all this quantitative easing (U.S.) inflation is on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are both right, the normal prices are going up from inflation and there are less deals out because of the extreme couponers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn inflation! :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog BTW. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind inflation, if wages are going up at least that amount. The bad part is wages are stagnating. My Own Advisor, you are welcome, it is a great blog.

    ReplyDelete