1 Million Dollars

Saturday, February 1, 2014

I got into the PhD program this semester!

I was planning to graduated my Master's in December but I wanted to keep going and get my PhD.  But, my PI was unwilling to keep as a PhD student.  He told me that he could not fund me, ironically he did find money for another student.  But, I did not let that stop me.  I found a faculty member who had just joined the medical school who was interested in me.  We had meeting after meeting, talking science but we also talked money.  You have to negotiate your salary, some of your benefits and your travel.  It was the hardest thing I have ever done.

I got some of what I want, but not everything.  So, did I sit down and accept it?  No, I have a plan on what I have to do to get a raise.  My boss pays my tuition and for the first year I take eighteen units but after my preliminary exam, I get to go drop down to two units.  That saves my boss about $7000, so when I drop down I plan to ask for more money.  Also, I plan to apply to multiple grants, if I get him more money, how can he refuse me? 

But, this will mean extra work.  I get into lab before everyone else, because I have to leave at 5:30 because my daughter's daycare.  I have to fight harder than before to show that a woman with a child can do the job a man can do.  I have to learn to be more efficient than anyone else in lab.  But, guess what?  I can.  I can do the job and I will fight to have to income that I think I deserve.  

So, what are you going to fight for?

No comments:

Post a Comment